PL EN

Thorn Restaurant

Thorn Restaurant

In the years 1899–1939 this building housed the famous Thorn’s Restaurant. Its owner, Hirsch Thorn, advertising in 1929 “Thorn’s Restaurant and Meadery, recommend[ed] first-class, exquisite ritual cuisine, renowned for its deliciousness.” Hirsch Thorn (27 June 1876, Kraków – ? after 1940), residing together with his wife Czarna Feiga née Mandelbaum at Józefa 35, ran the restaurant together with his three sons, Moses, Michael, and Isaac. The Kraków Thorn family had multigenerational restaurant managing traditions: Hirsch’s 60-year-old father, Abraham Thorn, who is earlier mentioned as a restaurant and inn owner, is listed in 1910 records as a restaurant assistant. A Neoclassical building, where the restaurant was located, was erected in the 2nd half of the 19th century on a plan of a rectangle. Thorn’s Restaurant survived in the memoirs of the prewar residents of Kraków. It was beautifully depicted by Manuel Rympel.

see on map
Map
< go to main page